Automotive sector has undergone noteworthy growth pertaining to the increasing demand for automotive vehicles. Furthermore, greater performance-efficiency, fuel-efficiency, and improved driving experience remain major consumer demands. To align with these consumer requirements, automotive manufacturers are focusing on key objectives such as enhancing performance characteristics, emission control, and weight reduction. The said factors are expected to propel the demand for lightweight materials, such as carbon fiber composites, glass fiber composites, and others. The scenario is expected to boost the demand growth of the automotive composites market. A number of aspects witnessed across the market are uncovered in an exclusive market study by Future Market Insights (FMI).
Technological Advancements to Boost the Development of Automotive Composites
Technological advancements have long been major growth propelling factor for the automotive composites market. Companies operating in the automotive composites market are continually leveraging the new technological progressions to develop next-gen automotive composites.
- A fiber composite-based solutions developer, Voith Composites recently highlighted its advanced fiber placement technology in the development of vertical-takeoff air taxis with a primary aim to improve urban mobility. This technological advancement is a part of the company’s focus on alternative propulsion systems with an aim to power carbon-neutral aircraft and automobiles for future generations. The company’s Smart Factory Industry 4.0 production is expected to set flexibility and efficiency standards, with which it would be able to offer its consumers with lightweight composite components.
- Thomas Technik & Innovation (TTI), a pultrusion specialist also showcased its manufacturing technology recently. The technology by TTI is capable of producing affordable carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic parts in high volumes, particularly for the automotive industry.
- Apart from the development of automotive composites, new technological improvements pertaining to the effective inspection of automotive composites is also witnessed in the automotive composites market. A 3D optical scanner underwent upgrades and enhancements for the inspection of automated composites at the University of Sheffield Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (AMRC), which offer potential benefits for the automotive and aerospace industries.
- Material innovation is another promising aspect enveloping the automotive composites market. West Virginia University researchers recently received an accolade by Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineers North America for their patented NextGen Multifunctional Composite System. The new composites developed with the help of this cutting-edge system find their structural application in widespread sectors including the automotive industry.
Glass fiber Material Variant to Exhibit Greater Potential
Glass fiber material variant is expected to capture significant attention of manufacturers. Various developments are witnessed in the production landscape of automotive composites industry pertaining to the glass fiber material.
- Renolit, a Germany-based plastic films manufacturer has designed fully recyclable glass fiber reinforced polypropylene, particularly for its application in the automotive interiors. This safe and clean next-generation composite material is effective for application in the production of load floors, truck trims, and seat back covers.
- Apart from this, a worldwide material solutions provider, Trinseo introduced new automotive composites for semi-structural automotive components. Trinseo’s new long glass fiber-reinforced acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS LGF) alloy is emerging as a lightweight alternative for semi-structural automotive components as it enables high stiffness and high dimensional stability. Being a structural polymer it offers lower weight compared to magnesium, low odor properties, low VOC, and faster production cycle times. This development meets the consumers’ demand for reliable and stable materials who previously opted for aluminum, steel, and magnesium.
More such developments and major elements pertaining to the automotive composites market are addressed in a deep-rooted market study by FMI. Click here to download a sample of the study.